‘I broke that promise and for that I am very, very sorry’: Premier Doug Ford reverses decision to open Greenbelt lands

0
534

Robin MacLennan

Ontario Construction Report staff writer

Premier Doug Ford said he will be reversing his government’s decision to open up the Greenbelt to developers, calling the controversial land removals a “mistake.”

“It was a mistake to open the Greenbelt,” he said. “It was a mistake to establish a process that moved too fast. This process, it left too much room for some people to benefit over others.

‘It caused people to question our motives. As a first step to earn back your trust, I’ll be reversing the changes we made and won’t make any changes to the Greenbelt in the future.”

He made the announcement Thursday after a caucus meeting in Niagara Falls.

“Our caucus, they shared with me what they have heard in their communities. I want the people of Ontario to know, I’m listening. I made a promise to you that I wouldn’t touch the Greenbelt. I broke that promise. And for that, I’m very, very sorry,” Ford told reporters at a news conference.

“I pride myself on keeping our promises. It was a mistake to open the Greenbelt. It was a mistake to establish a process that moved too fast.”

Last month, Ontario’s Auditor General Bonnie Lysyk released a report on the government’s handling of Greenbelt land removals. The report found that certain developers received “preferential treatment” and had direct influence over the government’s decision to extract lands.

Last year, the province took 7,400 acres of land in more than a dozen sections out of the Greenbelt to build 50,000 homes, citing the housing crisis, and Ford has faced large amounts of opposition to the plan since then.

Reports from the auditor general and integrity commissioner found that the process to select lands was rushed and favoured certain developers.

The property owners with land removed from the Greenbelt stood to see their land value rise by $8.3 billion, the auditor general found in her own Greenbelt investigation.

Ford was asked in late September if the government will now owe those developers any money, and he said Municipal Affairs and Housing Minister Paul Calandra “is working through those details.”

More than 90 per cent of the land removed from the Greenbelt was in five sites passed on to then-housing minister Steve Clark’s chief of staff, Ryan Amato, by two developers Amato met at an industry event, the auditor said. He has since resigned, along with Clark.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

I accept the Privacy Policy

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.