Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Halton Healthcare Services (HHS) have awarded a fixed price contract to Plenary Health to design, build, finance and maintain the Milton District Hospital expansion project.
The contract value of the Milton District Hospital project is approximately $512 million, which reflects the substantial completion payment and the monthly service payments before inflation adjustments.
This announcement signifies that all contractual steps have been completed and construction will begin immediately. Construction of the expansion is expected to be completed in spring 2017, followed by occupancy in the fall.
The Milton District Hospital expansion project is a significant economic opportunity for local suppliers and contractors. At the peak of construction, Plenary Health estimates that more than 500 workers will be on site daily.
The expansion will add 330,000 sq. ft. of space to the existing 125,000- sq. ft.hospital. Designed to address the needs of all users, including seniors, children, individuals with visual or cognitive impairments and those using wheelchairs and other mobility aids, the project will focus on meeting the care needs of those living in Milton, the fastest-growing community in Canada.
Project highlights include:
- expansion of emergency and surgical services, medical/surgical inpatient units, critical care, maternal newborn and diagnostic imaging and support services
- overall capacity increase from 63 to 129 inpatient beds
- eighty per cent single-patient rooms for improved infection prevention and control and to provide increased patient privacy and a quieter healing environment
- addition of the hospital’s first Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine
- a Level 2A Special Care Nursery with capacity for eight bassinettes in the Maternal Newborn Unit
The project will target the Canada Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED®) rating system, with a goal of achieving LEED® Silver certification. LEED® buildings focus on healthy indoor environments, reduced greenhouse gas emissions and efficient use of energy, water and other resources.
Visit www.infrastructureontario.ca and www.haltonhealthcare.com for more information.